Before preparing your After Effects project for onboarding, please run through the following checklist of questions to ensure the template behaves as intended and that common errors are avoided during the onboarding process:
Naming and labeling
- Are the dynamic layer names self descriptive and do they match the intended feed column names?
- Did you make sure layer names only use alphanumeric characters, underscores, and dashes? No spaces, no leading numbers, no special characters in layer names.
- Did you make sure each dynamic project footage name matches the layer name in the composition?
- Did you make sure each dynamic project footage and layer are labeled green?
- Did you make sure each dynamic text layer is labeled green?
- Is each dynamic layer name unique? (dynamic layers with the same name can only be updated simultaneously)
- Is there a preview marker layer? Is it labeled orange?
- Is there at least one marker that covers each dynamic element on the timeline?
- Does each dynamic text layer only use one font and one font size?
- Did you resize your dynamic text paragraph box sizes to handle the longest string in the feed that you want to display?
- Do you need to handle different text sizing for different length strings?
Dynamic Images and Videos
- Did you pre-compose your dynamic image and video layers and apply effects and transformations to that comp instead of the layers directly?
- Do you need to handle different sized dynamic assets (e.g. images / video)?
Custom fonts, no plug-ins, and conditional elements
- Do you have the font files for any custom fonts used in the design?
- Did you make sure to pre-render elements that need a plug-in, so that no plug-ins are required to render?
- Do you need to handle any conditional elements in the template (turning things on and off)?