Before preparing your After Effects project for onboarding, please run through the following checklist of questions to ensure the template behaves as intended and that common errors are avoided during the onboarding process:
Brand and Reference Assets
- Custom Fonts: Do you have the font files (otf, ttf) for any custom fonts used in the design?
- Brand Colors: Do you have brand-specified colors in rgb?
- Reference Assets: Do you have reference renders or assets to match outputs to?
Naming and labeling
- Layer Names Matched to Feed: Are the dynamic layer names self descriptive and do they match the intended feed column names?
- Layer Names: Did you make sure layer names only use alphanumeric characters, underscores, and dashes? No spaces, no leading numbers, no special characters in layer names.
- Footage and Layer Names Match: Did you make sure each dynamic project footage name matches the layer name in the composition?
- No file extensions in footages: Did you make sure to remove the .jpg / .png from the footage name?
- Green Footage and Dynamic Layer: Did you make sure each dynamic footage and layer are labeled green?
- Green Text Layer: Did you make sure each dynamic text layer is labeled green?
- Uniqueness: Is each dynamic layer name unique? (dynamic layers with the same name can only be updated simultaneously)
- Orange Layer: Is there a preview marker layer? Is it labeled orange?
- Markers with comments: Is there at least one marker that covers each dynamic element on the timeline (where you want to see a thumbnail preview)? Did you add a comment to name it? ("0", "1", etc. are fine)
- Single font per text layer: Does each dynamic text layer only use one font and one font size?
- Text Paragraph box size: Did you resize your dynamic text paragraph box sizes to handle the longest string in the feed that you want to display?
- Variable Text Scaling: Do you need to handle different text sizing for different length strings?
Dynamic Images, Video, and Sound
- Pre-compose Dynamic Images / Videos: Did you pre-compose your dynamic image and video layers and apply effects and transformations to that comp instead of the layers directly?
- "Fit" Resizing of assets: Do you need to handle different sized dynamic assets (e.g. images / video)?
- Color Working Space: Is your Project Settings Color Working Space set to match the incoming dynamic video assets so that color accuracy is preserved?
- Audio: Will your project be using sound from a video or separate audio track?
Plug-ins and Conditional elements
- Pre-render plug-in effects: Did you make sure to pre-render elements that need a plug-in, so that no plug-ins are required to render?
- Conditional elements: Do you need to handle any conditional elements in the template (turning things on and off)?